Find Simple Ways to Get Active
Physical activity is key to a healthy heart. And when you’re active, it’s easier to keep doing all the things you love — like traveling, seeing friends, and playing with your grandkids.
Try these tips to get more active:
- Start with just 5 minutes. If you haven’t been active lately, start slow and go at your own pace. Even 5 minutes of activity a day has real health benefits, and you can build up to more over time.
- Walk more. Walking is a great way to start being active. Try fitting in a short walk in the morning or after dinner.
- Get moving while you get things done. Active chores like gardening, vacuuming, washing the car, and raking leaves all count as physical activity.
- Find an activity buddy. Physical activity can be more fun with other people! Try a group activity class at your local rec center or invite a friend to go for a walk with you.
Learn more about physical activity and find ways to get moving:
- Move Your Way Fact Sheet for Older Adults [PDF – 1.1 MB]
- Move Your Way Activity Planner
- Health Benefits of Physical Activity for Adults [PDF – 3MB]
- Physical Activity for Adults with Chronic Health Conditions and Disabilities [PDF – 438 KB]